Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother's Day, Today and Every Day

Today, my sweet children and dear husband celebrated me. They made me feel special! I wish Mother's Day was every day, not just today!

I love being a mother. I have had many "real jobs," but none has offered the job satisfaction that mothering does. I have the freedom to stay home all day, head to the park for a picnic, take a walk, or go to a museum. I get paid with smiles, hugs, kisses, and laughs. I may not always get to sleep through the night, but I can take an afternoon nap snuggled up with a small child. I only have a short time to "mother" my children. They grow up so quickly and become licensed drivers. Someday, there will be time for me to pursue a career if I choose to. Right now, I am pursuing time with my children. I can't make them be little again... I only have today. Tomorrow, they'll be bigger. Tomorrow, they'll have grown up and moved away to start a family of their own. I will cherish today. I will cherish the gifts that God has given me!
This is what my mother did. She was my example. She is walking streets of gold today, but I know that when I was little, she put off cleaning the house in favor of reading a book to me, or playing catch with my brother. There was a time for everything. I am thankful for the time she gave to me.
Let's give our children what they want the most... time together.

And if you are a mother, I wish you a truly Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

u r invited to follow my blog

Treasures from a shoebox said...

Wise woman! I didn't come to this realization until several of mine were nearly grown. Praise God He doesn't give up on us and opens our eyes to the blessings before us each day.