Saturday, October 02, 2004

Favorite Swedish Children's Books

Lately I have been thinking about the souvenirs I want to take from Sweden. At the top of my list are some of these excellent children's books! I especially enjoy the Pettson and Findus books:



They're about an old farmer, named Pettson, and his cat Findus. They get into some hilarious situations, all with a Swedish point of view. My kids love these books, and so do I! We have only found 4 books that have been translated into English. Pettson and Findus are pretty popular here - you can find them as the theme of puzzles, on bookmarks and postcards, calendars and other such items.


_______________________________
Another good set of Swedish children's books are the Emil series, by Astrid Lindgren, the writer of the Pippi Longstocking series. Emil is a little boy from Lönneberga, Sweden, who frequently finds himself confined to the woodshed because of his trouble-making habits. He makes good use of his time in there by carving little wooden figures. His time-outs don't seem to change his behavior but these are some good stories nonetheless.

Everyone's heard of Pippi Longstocking. We have purchased a couple of those books too and they are lots of fun to read together. Pippi souvenirs can be found all over Stockholm. We have also been to Junibacken (pronounced yuni-bock-en), the musuem devoted to Astrid Lindgren's world of stories.

_______________________________



This book isn't a children's book. I bought it from the Royal Palace Bookshop and I plan to invite my friends to sign it before we move away. I've seen this done for other families leaving Sweden and I believe it will be a treasured keepsake we will enjoy for years to come.

_______________________________
This one isn't a book at all, but its still a great souvenir idea: the Stockholm version of Monopoly! It includes streets and places in Stockholm, uses Swedish kronor, and the Swedish language. What a fun way to remember the city!

Reading and Rejoicing,
Marla

No comments: