Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Dizzy Day

This morning I stayed home while my family went to church. I felt normal when I woke up except that I was very hungry. Instead of eating though, I took a shower and got ready for church. I went downstairs, feeling weak and in a hurry to get some food to my stomach. But the food tasted funny and I could hardly eat. I stood up to make coffee so we could drink it on the way to church, but I started feeling dizzy and lightheaded. I hurried to the sofa and laid there awhile, puzzled about what was wrong. I still don't know what happened, other than I must have waited too long to eat!

While I was resting on the sofa and my family was at church, I picked up the book I've been reading, "Diary of a Midwife," by Juliana van Olphen-Fehr. It is an excellent book, and I could not put it down. Juliana tells many stories of the labors and births of her clients, and she shares candidly her experiences with hospital births. I know I could not be a midwife, though I find their work extremely interesting and valuable to the lives of childbearing women. I wish there were more of them and that the medical community would accept them for the professionals that they are.

I am feeling better now, though my stomach feels all tight and stretchy today. Maybe the baby is having a growth spurt! I took a nap when Clara slept and I haven't felt dizzy anymore. Just hungry and thirsty all the time. It is truly amazing how much food a pregnant woman can put away!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

So glad you are feeling better! I have felt a bit off today also (maybe its the weather or something)? Is that the midwife that attended Amish births or am I thinking of a different book? I'm still uncertain of what I'm doing with this one...got the house thing out of the way now its time to search for a doc or midwife!

Laura said...

Glad you're feeling better again! I'm praying for you and wishing I could be there this time around, too! But I think I'll still have to knit something for your baby... .

Amy C said...

I agree with you about how much food a pregnant woman can eat--I think when I was pregnant I broke some sort of record! =) Glad you're doing OK. We're so excited about baby #4 coming to join your family. Keep us posted! --Amy Collard