Saturday, January 24, 2009

Healthy Habits

Tip #2

We like to substitute plain organic yogurt for sour cream. I wanted to get more yogurt in our diets and one way to do it was to buy the big 32 oz. containers (we like the Stonyfield Farm brand) and use it whenever we would have used sour cream. Since Clara was old enough to sit up and eat I have given her yogurt in a bowl, sometimes sweetening it a little bit, or adding sprinkles (it looks like a dessert then!), or stirring in her favorite cereal for some added crunch and texture. I like to stir in slivered almonds, frozen blueberries, and a sprinkling of brown sugar to a bowl of plain yogurt. The vanilla flavored yogurt is also awesome, but it doesn't substitute well for sour cream because it is sweet!

Here's my favorite pancake recipe:

YOGURT PANCAKES

2 eggs beaten
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup milk or soymilk
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. flax seed meal (optional)

To the beaten eggs, stir in the yogurt. Slowly add the milk. Add the rest of the ingredients. It is ok for batter to be slightly lumpy.

I cook these in my cast iron skillet. Butter the skillet and measure about 2 tbsp batter for each pancake. I can get 4 in my large skillet. Turn over when the edges are lightly browned and the pancake is puffed up a little. (These pancakes are moister than regular pancakes.)

Serve pancakes with pure maple syrup!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I make homemade yogurt and sweeten it with honey. It's a daily treat for me!