Thursday, March 06, 2008

Make Your Own Cleaners!

I bought a big 'ol jug of white vinegar and have been using these recipes to make my own cleaners. They don't just work, they work WELL! And think of the money you can save by not having to buy those expensive cleaners in the store! My main reason for switching to a vinegar based cleaner was to begin the process of getting toxic chemicals out of our house. You might think that all you will smell is vinegar after you use these cleaners, but the amount of vinegar is relatively small and we barely notice a vinegar odor, if at all.

Mirror Cleaner
This recipe calls for ammonia, but I have had wonderful success using only the vinegar and water.

Mix together 1 tbsp. vinegar, 3 tbsp. household ammonia and 2 cups water. Pour into a spray bottle. After washing the mirror, wipe dry with a paper towel.


Wood Cleaner
We are using this in place of dusting spray and I really like the results. It is good for routine cleaning of wood paneling, doors, furniture, and cupboards. It is not a spray.

Mix together 1 quart warm water, 1 tsp. vinegar, and 1 tsp. olive oil. (I actually whisk this to get it all mixed up.)
Dip a soft cloth into the mixture and wring it out. Use this cloth to wipe the wood surface. Polish with a soft, dry cloth.


All Purpose Cleaner
This formula works for all sorts of general cleaning chores. Put it in a spray bottle and it's ready to clean when you are.

Mix together:
1/4 cup household ammonia
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp. cup baking soda
4 cups water


Floor Cleaner
I use this on our ceramic tile and linoleum and it leaves the floor clean and sparkling!

Use about 1/2 cup white vinegar to 1/2 bucket of warm water.


(SAFETY NOTE: Remember to never mix bleach with household ammonia because it creates a toxic gas. Even ammonia by itself can be toxic if you breathe it so make sure you have good ventilation when you do use it.)

4 comments:

Gr3tch3n said...

I think I am going to try some of these! I'm always into ways to save money on non-fun things like cleaners, plus I agree about the crazy chemicals...who knows what in that stuff!

Glad your move went well and welcome back to the states!

Gretchen

Anonymous said...

We went to the home and garden show a couple of weekends ago and a salesman was giving demos for his "mop" and "cleaning cloths". He also used a mixture of vinegar and water. Interesting!

Kathy Lundberg said...

Hi Marla,

I have read about these but never had them listed in one place. I'm going to use them. For us, with shortage of space, it's an excellent route to go plus less toxins.

Glad you're back in USA and in TX.

love & hugs
Kathy

Jamie said...

I know what you mean about those toxic cleaners...I use Melaleuca now. Though I'm not in the company anymore my mom manages to keep me well stocked;)